Think you’re a travel buff? Put your travel knowledge to the test in our bumper quiz on travel, food, drink and adventure around the world. READY?
P.S. Answers can be found at the bottom.
ROUND ONE: FLAGS
(Because it wouldn’t be a travel quiz without a round on flags, would it?)
1. What do the flags of Albania, Sri Lanka and Kazakhstan all contain?
c) The colour green
2. Which country most recently changed its national flag?
b) South Africa
3. Name the flags!
4. All flags in the world are rectangular, apart from the one below. Which Asian country does this belong to?
5. Name the east European country (below) that flutters this rarely spotted double-headed eagle?
6. This flag is the longest continuously used flag in the world. Which European country is below?
c) San Marino
7. Which African nation does this gun-toting design belong to?
d) Democratic Republic of Congo
ROUND TWO: GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
1. It is everybody’s favourite, but what is the official name of the Disney theme park in Orlando, Florida?
b) Walt Disney World
c) Disney’s Florida Adventureland
d) Wobby’s World
2. Which of these icons is the tallest (from ground level)?
a) Eiffel Tower, Paris
b) Statue of Liberty, New York
c) Christ the Redeemer (Rio)
d) The Big Bogan, Nyngan
3. The face of which of these former US presidents is not carved into Mount Rushmore?
b) Theodore Roosevelt
4. Which of the following is not a music festival?
a) 24-Hour Drone
d) Wireless Festival
5. In Paula Hawkins’s The Girl on the Train, what’s the final destination of the ride?
a) London Euston
b) New York’s Grand Central Terminal
c) Crewe in Cheshire
d) Edinburgh Waverley
6. Which is the highest mountain in New Zealand?
a) Mount Cook
b) Mount Tasman
c) North King Mountain
d) Mount Taranaki
7. What colour will all British passports be from this year?
a) Red, white and blue
c) No colour, but transparent
8) In which year did San Francisco’s iconic Golden Gate bridge first open?
ROUND THREE: FOOD AND DRINK
1. Jollof rice is the national dish of which country?
2. How would you say ‘cheers!’ in Spanish?
3. Ackee and saltfish is enjoyed all over Jamaica, but what is ackee?
a) A hard grain cooked to a pulp then fried
b) Fruit related to a lychee
c) Root vegetable
d) Sour berry grown on the island
4. Poutine is chips with cheese curds and gravy, but where does this dish originate from?
5. Eating sushi in its homeland is a highlight of a trip to Japan, but which of these is a vital ingredient in sushi?
a) Daikon Radish
b) Nori Seaweed
c) Raw fish
d) Vinegared Rice
6. Which country is the only place to produce Kampot Pepper?
7. Which country is famous for making Bunny Chow?
c) South Africa
8. The delicious and refreshing drink Lassi originates from which country?
9. The delightful thirst quenching drink, Aguas frescas originates from which country?
ROUND FOUR: WHERE ON EARTH?
1. What is the world’s highest capital
a) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
b) Kathmandu, Nepal
c) La Paz, Bolivia
d) Quito, Ecuador
2. This famous funicular railway line runs in which city?
3. BONUS CATCH UP QUESTION ALERT! One for each answer- in which Asian countries would you spend the following currencies:
4. If you had a travel flight to Incheon International Airport, which country would you be visiting?
c) South Korea
5. Which of the following is NOT a Greek island?
6. Which of the ‘new seven wonders of the world’ is located in Jordan?
b) Machu Picchu
c) Chichen Itza
d) Taj Mahal
7. The Nile and the Amazon are the world’s two longest rivers. Which is the third longest?
8. Russia, Canada, China and the USA are the world’s largest countries by total area. Which of these comes next?
9. What is the capital of Peru?
10. What is the name of Britain’s highest mountain?
a) Ben Nevis
b) Scaffel Pike
d) Box Hill
11. In which city would you find The Little Mermaid statue?
12. In which country would find the Giant’s Causeway?
c) Northern Ireland
13. Dakar is the capital of which country?
a) Guinea Bissau
b) Burkina Faso
14. Where in the world is the music festival, Coachella held?
- A- Albania has a double-headed eagle, Sri Lanka has a lion and Kazakhstan’s flag features a soaring golden steppe eagle flying below a golden sun.
- A- The new version of the Mauritania flag was brought in 2017 and prior to this the flag did not have it’s dark red stripes.
- Cuba, Malaysia and Netherlands
- B- Nepal
- C- Albania
- A- The current design of a white Scandinavian cross on a red back ground was adopted in 1625 and its square shape in 1748
- C- The flag of Mozambique was adopted on 1 May 1983 and includes the image of an AK-47 with a bayonet attached to the barrel.
- B- founded in 1965
- A- The Eiffel tower is 324 metres (1,063 ft) tall,
- C- Jefferson
- C – bothTomorrowland and 24 Hour Drone are music festivals.
- A- London Euston
- A- Mount cook is 3,724 m high!
- B- Blue
- C – 1937
- A- Nigeria
- B- Salud!
- B- ackee is a fruit of the Sapindaceae soapberry family in the same way as the lychee
- C – Canada
- D- Vinegared Rice
- A- Kampot pepper is a cultivar of pepper grown and produced in Kampot Province, Cambodia.
- C- South Africa
- A- National and flavoured drink across India!
- B- Mexico!
- C – Located high up at an altitude of 11,942 ft, La Paz is the highest capital city in the world.
- B- the famous yellow trams in Lisbon!
- (a)Vietnam, (b)Indonesia, (c)Bangladesh, (d)Thailand?
- C- South Korea
- C – Lastova is in Croatia
- A- Petra
- C- Yangtze is 6,300 km long!
- B- Brazil has a total land area of 8.516 million km²
- A – Lima
- A – Ben Nevis is 1,345 m high!
- D – Copenhagen
- C – Northern Island
- C – Senegal
- B – USA